Well here we are, at the two month mark. And until now I haven’t really considered my situation a step in faith any different than anything else I have ever done. Looking back on this entire situation, preparing to deploy, struggling with the bureaucracy of paperwork for approval to be here, and the final trip to Iraq, it never seemed to be anything more spectacular than anything else. But it has hit me recently, I am on a sort of tether of faith, like a bungee cord hooked to your ankle while you jump off a cliff. I have never had the desire to do bungee jumping, especially the older I get. But here I am in a combat zone. And it has crossed my mind “will I ever get out of here”? “How do I know that I will actually leave here in 3 and a-half months”? So as I shudder to even think of the very remote possibility of being stuck here, the Holy Spirit quickly reminds me, I am tethered, not floating out there off the cliff with nothing to pull me to safety. But a tether, which will spring me back to those I love and care about. That thought of being tethered to God has given me a boldness to be fearless in the face of uncertain circumstances. Not to let fear or anxiety grip me and paralyze me but to cause me to act and make decisions all the while praying for wisdom and direction. Now more than ever, I need the promises of Psalm 91. And the reason is clear, since there is going to be a major turnover of personnel in the next couple of weeks. I will no longer be the “new guy.” Instead, I will be making decisions that will impact many different things. People will look to me and I am supposed to know what I am doing. Scary thought to say the least.
I have been studying Psalm 91 lately with the assistance of a book written specifically for those who are deployed. Some of the lessons are profound. Reciting the verses in situations that are difficult, or where I have absolutely no control, has made a difference in my ability to see through the issues and feel at peace.
I have no fear for I am tethered to my Heavenly Father and Psalm 91 lights my way.
HAPPY NEW YEAR See you all in April, I have no doubt.