05 November 2008

ON THE SPIRITUAL SIDE

I missed the detachment barbeque because of my delayed flight times getting here. They had an outing for the guy I replaced and they invited the chaplain. I wish I could have met the Chaplain, that would have been a good start. I am hoping to get to church this Sunday. They have an International Bible Study too, which I hope to attend.

My partner is Agnostic, a 20-year AF active duty troop and a little jaded. I am treading easy and do not want to set the stage for conflict. Pray that I say and do the right things so as not to turn him off. He doesn't know me well enough yet to understand where I am coming from Spiritually and this environment makes it even more difficult to be an outwardly charismatic Christian. I am taking it slow and getting to know folks before blazing my trail so to speak. But that won't stop me from going to church and getting somewhat involved, I will just have to do it quietly for now.

I can see a desperate need for Christ in this place especially when it comes to the young troops. I want to be a good role model and positive influence but it is difficult. We have a security element that goes with us when we "meet and greet." They live with us, eat with us and socialize with us. Definitely unheard of for my organization since we tend to be set apart from the regular military due to our unique mission. Most of them are between the ages of 19 and 25. The current element is getting ready to go home and their replacements should be here in about a week or so. The guys and girl who are already here and leaving soon are good kids, combat experienced and very worldly due to the environment. The new crowd will be coming right from training to us and will need some guidance. My commander is a Spiritual guy so I know I won't get any pushback from him for trying to be a Spiritual example to the team.

Timing, timing, timing is the key as well as patience. You all know that I have such good patience, NOT!!! Another sharp learning curve for the old guy. Soul food (Spiritually speaking) is very crucial to survival OVERHERE.

1 comment:

  1. Mark:

    Great picture of you all geared up. I know that you have patience because I have seen it action. All in God's time.

    Keep up the posts and the workouts. They are good for mental and physical exercise.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE LEAVE ONLY THE FOLLOWING INFO: Your name; Date (between 5/2-5/8); Time (hour, AM/PM, minute) of Mark's Arrival in Aston.