
Wednesday morning around 0500 I went for my usually 4 mile run. My last mile and a half takes me along the flight line. That time of morning no one is using that road, no trucks, cars or people. It has always been an easy road to run on and I use that opportunity to kick it in. But this particular morning I got a little surprise.
I am about halfway down the road near the generator plant and I see a pack of wild dogs in the middle of the road nawing on something. I stop, they stop, one barks, another runs back through a hole in the fence, and we stare at each other. I am lucky they already found breakfast since they obviously didn't want to leave it and come after me. We were about 600 meters away from each other. They continued to watch me and I slowly walked backward for about three-tenths of a mile until I reached the generator plant.
Now I had a decision to make, walk through the generator plant and get challenged or worse, or take my chances with rover and his cohorts. I chose the the plant and walked cautiously to the adjacent road and then ran my butt off back to our compound.