So here we are, it is 0400hrs., 29 Aril 2009 the beginning of my third and last day at Qatar. It's a strange place Qatar. It's considered a deployment when people are assigned here but the feel is different. here is danger a round this place for not everyone wants us here but for the most part, due to the amount of money our Government is paying, it would not be economcally adventagous to Qatar to kick us out. So I guess we are tolerated at best. The country is very strict Muslim and the rules are enforced. But it is still a different feel.
Being in Iraq, I guess I didn't realize how close to danger we were on a day to day basis. After a while I felt so much a part of the Iraqi culture. It was almost like I understood everything they were going thru and what they needed. You really don't think about it, but you can sort of feel it. Not all of the Iraqis want us there, that's no surprise really. Imagine for a second walking out of your door to maybe get the morning paper and seeing military vehicles driving around your negihborhood and soldiers stopping by to "chat". A little intimidating don't you think? Just ask someone who lives in New Orleans how that feels. That's the way it has been in NO since after the hurricane. The troops are finally leaving, but it seemed to me they wore out their welcome long before. So I can't blame the Iraqis for wanting their life, dignity and honor back. That's the way it is suppose to be. However, I am concerned for my new friends and what will ultimately happen to them should things go all to hell in Iraq after we leave.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
PLEASE LEAVE ONLY THE FOLLOWING INFO: Your name; Date (between 5/2-5/8); Time (hour, AM/PM, minute) of Mark's Arrival in Aston.