18 April 2009

FACE TO FACE WITH A JACKALSNAKE

All during this deployment I have been able to keep up with my running and biking. Other than Chapel time and Praise Band time, running is the only thing that keeps me sane in this crazy place. You know ever since my encounter with the pack of dogs one morning early in my deployment when I was running at 5am, I started to carry a knife with me. But since that one encounter I had never run into the dogs again. However, one particular morning while at our group HQ building I noticed a funny looking dog running thru the parking lot. Later that day while at band practice one of our people mentioned he was tasked with trying to catch a jackal running around. Basically his Air Force job is entomology and other walking, creeping, slithering, jumping things. I put two and two together and realized I actually witnessed the "jackal" running around on base. Ironically, while at band practice someone came in and informed our bug guy that a viper was also slithering around the compound. So I asked him how he goes about catching a deadly snake like the viper. He nonchalantly said, "we spread out a ring of glue in the area where we think the viper is hiding. Eventually the viper will venture out for food or whatever and get stuck in the glue". So I quipped, "if you are lucky the jackal will become curious about the glue, get some on him, and then the viper will see the jackal as an afternoon snack and become stuck to the jackal." All of a sudden you will have a jackalsnake running around on base, because they will be stuck to each other. Pretty ingenious I thought, and a lot easier to catch them. He wasn't amused at all. So much for my idea. But he still hasn't caught either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE LEAVE ONLY THE FOLLOWING INFO: Your name; Date (between 5/2-5/8); Time (hour, AM/PM, minute) of Mark's Arrival in Aston.